New IPO Rules will be effective January 1st, 2012
The latest available version of the IPO Rules can be found here by clicking here
Submitted 3/12/2012 by Ray Reid
"These are some explanations and changes in the new IPO rules. I still expect some more changes in the near future"
Click here to see the information listed below in a printable pdf file
New Trial Rules Info
BH and BH/VT
- There will no longer be “SchH or VPG” titles, only IPO.
- The former WH title is gone!
- A minimum score of 80 in protection is no longer required to move on to the next level. A minimum of 70 points is sufficient for the dog to go to the next level.
- A Judge may judge up to a maximum of 36 parts in one day.
- Note: It is still ok to present multiple scorebooks.
- Sit Exercise - Handler stops after 10 to 15 steps and gives Sit Command while in Basic Position, then leaves 15 steps.
- Down with Recall Exercise – Handler stops after 10 to 15 steps and gives Down Command while in Basic Position, then leaves 30 steps
- BH/VT is for the first time Handler and includes the “theoretical examination” and the training/behavioral tests. DVG America is exempt and still does not require this test.
- Leather collars are permissible at this level!
- IPO A 1, IPO A 2, & IPO A 3 (Utility Dog Title) The phases B/C are carried out for levels 1-3, similar to the old SchH A, but allowing a level 2 and 3 to be earned.
- FPr- 1-3: Tracking tests only phase A (BH required but can skip levels)
- UPr-1-3: Obedience tests only phase B (BH required but can skip levels)
- SPr-1-3: Protection phase C can only be given when in conjunction with a FPr 1-3 or a UPr1-3. (BH required but can skip levels)
- IPO ZTP: International Breed Suitability Test.
Clubs are not required to offer this title in trials.
- I.P.O. V: International Preliminary working test
Clubs are not required to offer this title in trials.
- IPO 1-3: International Working test levels 1-3
- FH1 : Tracking test (1 track-1 day)
- FH2 : Tracking test (1 track-1 day)
- IPO-FH: International tracking test (2 FH 2 tracks, performed on 2 days, same judge allowed for Club trials, 2 judges for Championships)
- STp 1-3: Article search indication test
- Only major change is the articles are now worth 21 points-----no more “Good” rating without indication!
- IPO 1 will report in to the judge on leash. IPO 2 & 3 removes the leash before entering the field and report in off leash.
- For the jumps, the dog must do at least 1 jump and complete the retrieving portion in order to
receive any points at all
- In all Out of Motion exercises WITHOUT RECALL Handlers only need to (and should) PROCEED 15 paces after executing the command to Sit or Stand! (In all exercises that the dog is RECALLED the Handler still goes 30 paces away.)
- All Dumbbell re-throws; The dog must stay in place at SIT! (If the dog follows the Handler past the equipment, exercise is over, “M” 0 points) If the dog leaves the SIT, but does not go beyond a partial score will be given.
Main Changes and Comments:
- IPO 1 reports in on lead and proceeds to the start position of the search on lead, and then the lead is removed.
- IPO 2 and 3 reports in off lead and heels off lead to the start position for the search.
- Escape is to be done with a command such as “Voran”, “Go.
- The Escape exercise is now properly executed by the HANDLER giving a "go" command at the same time as the Helper is directed by the Judge to go. Failure to give the command is faulty.
- Defense exercise remains the same.
- Back Transport must be at least a minimum distance of 30 paces and does not have to have a corner.
- Attack on Dog out of Motion (Long Attack, Courage Test) for all levels the Handler / Dog Team are positioned at the end of the field between blinds 1 and 2.
- The Helper will always come out of blind six and will run further up field for the IP01 and IPO 2 before the dog is released. Distance is Full field for IP03.
- For IPO1 the Helper must run down field and the dog is released at about 30 -40 paces from the Helper.
- IPO2 the dog is released at about 40-50paces from the Helper.
- IPO 3 the dog is released about full field after the Helper has turned and threatened the dog.
- The Helper runs out of the Blind to the midline of the field and turns to attack the dog for all levels of the long attack in IPO 1-3.
- Verbal threats are given 2 times, once after Helper turns towards the dog, and once more just prior to contact with stick threat!
- After reporting out the Handler is required to free heel their dog a distance away from the Judge and Helper. (3 to 5 paces in all levels)
General Rules Protection
- After the helper stops, there MUST be a TRANSITION phase from fight to out.
- Rules state that for more than seven dogs in a level, an additional helper is required. For
DVG/USA Club Trials this rule will be waived to allow smaller clubs with only one helper to hold trials.
- All dogs in the same level must be worked by the same helper unless there are special circumstances where a helper is also entered in the trial. This must be discussed and approved by the judge.
- Six blinds are always set upon the trial field regardless of whether there any IPO 2 or 3 dogs. This is done to show control of the IPO 1 and 2 dogs.
- One Helper may work front and back half SchH3 at club level.
Possible Tracking Schematics
for VPG/IPO 1 - 3 & FH 1 & 2
Additional FH2 Tracks
(posted - 5/21/07)
SCALING WALL SPECIFICATIONS
NEW 1 METER HURDLE (JUMP) SPECIFICATIONS
Return to DogSports of Various Groups Homepage